Friday, September 10, 2010

Birthday

So my birthday is tomorrow and unless you live under a rock, you know what day that is. I use to love my birthday, birthday's are very special in my family, but 9 years ago, some stupid overzealous terrorist ruined that day for me. It really isn't that bad, I don't turn on the TV or get online for the whole day. Not even on Facebook because all people comment all day is remember what today is. While I don't think we should forget and a terrible tragedy did happen, I would like to have a happy birthday. When I go to the airport, every security person looks at my license and says, "Do you know when your birthday is?" or my favorite, "Man, your birthday sucks." My thanks, it is always nice to hear that. One guy asked if that was really my birthday, I looked at him and said no, I was thinking what would be a sucky day to have a birthday and that date popped in my mind. I wish people thought before they spoke. It has gotten better over the years but that first year I hated telling people my birthday because they would give me this "I am so sorry look." Tomorrow is Saturday at least and I mostly don't get online or watch live TV on Saturday's. The wonderful thing is my daughter has no idea that 9/11 is a bad day and she is so excited about my birthday. She makes the day happy again.

While I know that this post seems selfish when so many lost their lives, this is my blog and I can be as selfish as I want. The day is a sad day and one that needs to be remembered, but I will remember it on the other 364 days of the year.

No comments: